Thursday, January 31, 2008

CVA 204 Brief & texture Idea and stuff... stuff

the following is what ive decided to write up for my project brief:

CVA 204 custom Project Brief

I am working Alone on a project focusing on Game design, trying to showcase my ability to Model animate and texture in general.


I want to concentrate mostly on the Conceptualisation to modelling and animation of those concepts. While I do realize I’m being slightly broad, I feel that game design isn’t all about keeping poly counts low (especially in this age of 20 million polygon character mesh’s). A lot of work goes into that of a game, from 2D concepts to turning those 2D concepts into something feasible in the 3D realm of modern games. On top of that game concepts are not just static representation of the characters put into the game, but are there to give the feel of the game as well, through style or Movement in the character concepts.


While I am relatively unfamiliar with the modelling process of game models, I feel that current technology alleviates me from some of the tethers set by the Original Brief. Which is why I want to re-write my own brief as the polygon limit on the original brief is rather an archaic. I will aim to keep my polygon count within feasible standards, as basing my work off of something as advanced as the Unreal Engine 3 sets the bar too high for me with my current skill. I aim to keep my Main character Mesh below 50,000 polygons, and also aim to keep the outside world Below a certain polygon count, however with my unfamiliarity with game loading systems I’m not sure how to create an expansive Environment and limit polygon view range, so I’m going to give myself around a 60,000 polygon limit on the outside environments, while leaving a 20,000 Polygon limit for inside environments.


Texturing of my Model will be standard 256 x 256 512 x 512 and 1024 x 1024 tga texture files. And my Main character mesh, and Sub-character mesh’s will be made of self drawn Textures.


I want to present the work as More of a showcase of what the game can and would be. Displaying a moderate amount of “game play” by mixing animation, and thematic environments in the final outcome of my project.


---
there my project brief. i had to re-write it as i left the original on the PC's in UNI haha.

a 1024 x 1024 texture im working on for Zachs Upper Body texture.


one of 5 Textures made for the face. I am planning on Using a ramp shader to texture Zach with 5 shades 1 bright, 1 normal and 3 darkening textures. to give it a stylised, but not cartoony look.
I plan on posting some more of my concept work other than the 2 pictures i have in the previous post.

No comments: